Saturday, August 19, 2006

Being : Ram Gopal Varma

Having lost touch with HBO and Star Movies, I wasnt even browsing through these channels in Mumbai, where there is no CAS.

Past week, besides work and sleep, I hardly found time for other things. Luckily I didnt miss this program on CNN-IBN. This channel is doing good. Though all the National news Channels do the same things, I feel IBNLive is doing it with flair.

Being : Ram Gopal Varma was a program that ripped RGV. He was damn good and sharp with his answers. Right or wrong, you need guts to answer like that.

For instance,

Anuradha Sengupta: What was the best film that came out of that phase?

Ram Gopal Varma: If you ask from my productions? Nothing.

Anuradha Sengupta: Not even a single one?

Ram Gopal Varma: No. See some might have worked like Ab Tak Chappan but I think it could have been done in a far better way. I wasn’t happy with that project either.

Anuradha Sengupta: Do the people who have got their first break by you, get annoyed when they hear statements like this?

Ram Gopal Varma: By making these statements I am only being critical of their work.

I am critical of myself as well. Eventually if I’m making the film, endorsing it and taking responsibility for it not doing well, I have every right to say what I think about the film.


Please read the interview here (you can actually see it as well)

This guy is really being straight forward, and looks like we may not get movies of other generes from him. But yet, he is right. He lives his life for himself.

I loved the following part of the interview, though it is debatable.

Anuradha Sengupta: You have said that when you look at strong, powerful men the way they are, you feel attracted and inspired. Today as the filmmaker, director and producer that you are, do you feel powerful?

Ram Gopal Varma: I am very strong and powerful. Being strong and powerful to me is to be able to get up in the morning and doing what you want to do.

As long as I can remember I have always done what I have wanted to do in life. No one including myself can stop me from doing what I have wanted to do. What more can I ask for?

Yeah.. What more can anyone ask for ?

BTW, Anuradha Sengupta - the interviewer was terrific, in terms of spontaneous and sensible questions. Keep the show rolling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he wants us to believe he's critical of his work then he must've talked about Daud and Sarkar! It's quite sometime his works have been a success at BO and by saying no favorites from his RGV factory he's artificially creating a niche pedestal for himself which normally one gets by consistent critical or commercial acclaim!
I saw the interview and i think he successfully created an image of a reclusive genius. Ok you bought that :)

Vinesh said...

well, read the whole interview.. and think that it is a valid point that he works with Manoj Bajpai and Sandeep Chowta and no big deal is made out of it.. but his regular heroines are linked to him..

Prasanna Parameswaran said...

Yeah! I read that too - its a good one!